Business Challenge: Create a program that will connect with the hearts and minds of students and educate them on the importance of creating a plan to pay for college utilizing free money.
Established and managed a key influencer relationship with Hip-Hop Artist Dee-1, who wrote the hit song “Sallie Mae Back,” and kicked off a five-state “Knowledge for College” tour in the program’s inaugural year. In conjunction with the tour, the company launched Dee-1’s Pays to Repay contest helping customers to pay-off their student loans. The successful social media campaign with the hip-hop influencer helped Sallie Mae reach more than 7 million people and earn a 99.8 percent positive sentiment rating in its first year. Traditional Media results from the campaign included a reach of 175 million and national coverage in USA Today, Vibe Magazine, Rapzilla, HipHopDX and ESPN’s His and Hers.
Through this unique partnership, I created a flexible campaign that helped to change the brand perception among Gen Z consumers and provided financial literacy knowledge to help students identify scholarship opportunities and create a plan to pay for college.
The campaign eventually earned more than 4B impressions during its 5 year program, provided more than $500K in scholarships and student loan repayment, hit 98.8% positive sentiment and significant media coverage.
Social Media Listening
Campaign Creation & Execution
PR, Satellite Media Tours
- [ ] $500,000+ in scholarships and student loan repayments
- [ ] 4B in traditional and social media impressions
- [ ] 99.8% positive sentiment on social media
- [ ] 500+ requests for additional tour stops
- [ ] Media coverage on ESPN’s His & Hers, USA Today, Vibe Magazine, HipHopDX, Rapzilla & Bloomberg
- [ ] 2017 Social Media Mover & Shaker Award, Rabble Rouser Category
- [ ] 2017 - 2018 Governor’s Financial Literacy Award (Wisconsin)
- [ ] 2018 Hermes Creative Award, Platinum
- [ ] 2018 Hermes Award, Gold
- [ ] 2018 Gramercy Institute Strategy Awards
- [ ] 2018 Stevie Gold Winner
Temeka’s social media vision has significantly improved how Sallie Mae engages students with resources that help make college happen. I can think of no one more deserving of this award. - Martha Holler, SVP
Power in Numbers
$500K Scholarships & Student Loan Repayments
99% Positive Sentiment